You may have listened to the term “Zip” many times before. “Zip” is One of the oldest & most widely used file formats which permits you to compress & decompress files. Zipping a file will also allow saving drive space and make it possible to transfer the file comparatively in a short time over the web. In this article, I will discuss how to use the built-in options provided by windows 10 to zip & unzip a file for free.
Nowadays, A lot of third party apps are capable of zip compression & decompression. But you don’t need to install any of the third-party apps if you are using windows 10.
Windows 10 supports Zip natively & have built-in options to zip & unzip files. Because of windows support Zip natively, You can unzip the zip file by only double-clicking on the zip file.
Techniques of Zipping A File
#Method 1 – How to Zip Files in Windows 10?
Windows 10 itself is a great tool for zipping files. Windows 10 zip program is a built-in program for windows. Here is how to zip files in windows.
1.Open the “File Explorer” and navigate to the files you want to compress.
2. Right-click on an empty space, Select new from the dropdown menu and click on Compressed (zipped) folder. This will create an empty zip folder.
3. Select the files you want to compress. Copy or Cut them by right-clicking on one of the selected files.
4. Now open the created zip folder and paste the files there that are copied to your clipboard .
#Method 2 – How to Compress Files in Windows 10?
1.Navigate to the location of the files you want to compress.
2. Select the files & folders and right-click on one of the selected files.
3. In the dropdown menu select “Send to” and click on “Compressed (zipped) Folder”.
4. Type a name for the created zip folder and hit enter to save it.
5. A zip file will appear with a zipper icon on it.
Techniques of Unzipping a file
Windows 10 zip program supports zip natively which means that you can directly access to a zipped folder by double-clicking on it.
But, You should extract the zip folder before using the files on it. If you don’t unpack the zip files then you can’t make changes to the files.
Here are the two methods available on how to unzip the zip file on windows.
Method 1 – To use file explorer to Unzip a file on windows 10?
File Explorer can work as a zip file opener in windows 10. Because of the “Zip” File format is native on windows, File explorer can be a great tool for opening zip files in windows.
1.Double click the zip folder you want to unzip. This will open the individual files that were zipped inside.
2. Select all the files or the one you want to use. Drag the selected files to other location such as the desktop or a folder. You can also cut or copy the files to another location.
3. Now the files are unzipped. You can delete the zip folder now if there is nothing inside the folder.
Method 2 – To use Windows Zip File Extractor to Extract / Open a Zip file?
Windows 10 Zip Wizard often called as Zip file extractor. It is a one-click zip extractor tool for windows.
1.Select the Zip folder and right-click on it.
2. Click on Extract all. The Zip icon will disappear and the files will be unzipped.
3. To unzip the Zip files to a different folder Click on browse and select your desired folder. Now, click on Extract and the files will be extracted to the indicated folder.
Wrapping Up: Windows 10 covered most of the Zipping & unzipping Process By windows Zip Program. I have tried to explain the working process of How to zip & unzip a file using windows 10 as easily as I could. If you face any problem while working feel free to comment below. I will try to be as responsible as possible.
- CoronaVirus pandemic Status – Affected, Dead & Recovered patient Number
- How Browser Cookies can be Harmful to Your Privacy?
- Enable Third-party Cookies In Chrome
- Top 5 Online Free Article Rewriter Tool In 2019