Google Chrome is the most widely used browser in 2019. Browsers like Mozilla Firefox and internet explorer do have the built-in theme to activate night mode, but chrome does not. Google was working & experimenting on bringing dark mode on google chrome for several months. Finally, they have brought a native update on Google chrome dark mode in 2019.
Sadly, there is no such button or switch to enable dark mode for chrome directly. You will have to go through a process to enable dark mode for chrome. The process may vary based on the operating system. In this article, I am going to discuss the process of enabling night mode for chrome on Windows 10, Mac & Android.
You might be interested in – How To Enable Gmail Dark Mode on Android & IOS App
What are the ways to Turn On Dark Mode For Google Chrome?
- Through Operating System built In Options (Windows 10, Mac, Android).
- Chrome Extensions.
To use OS Built-In Options to Activate Google Chrome Dark Mode
Enable Google Chrome Dark mode on windows 10
- Open ‘Settings‘ and click on ‘Personalization‘.
- Select ‘Colors‘ and Scroll down to the option ” Choose your default app mode “.
- Select ‘Dark’ to enable dark mode on google chrome. To revert select ‘Light‘.
Turn On Google Chrome Night Mode on Mac
- Open ‘System preferences‘ and click on ‘General‘.
- Select ‘Appearance‘.
- Select the ‘Dark‘ Option. All the apps will be turned to a native dark mode as windows.
Enable Chrome Dark Mode for Android Devices
- Open Google Chrome on your android device.
- At the top right corner tap on the three dots.
- Go through the following “Settings” > “Themes“.
- You will get three options. Click on the ‘Dark‘ option to activate google chrome dark mode for android. To revert use the ‘Light‘ option. If you leave it as ‘System default‘ then it will only enable dark mode while the battery saver is turned on.
To Use a Chrome Dark Mode Extension
A change of theme or Os dark mode can change the Interface of the chrome browser to a dark version. Most of the website has white backgrounds unless the developer installed a dark version of the website. In this case, I am suggesting you check the “Dark reader” chrome extension.
Dark reader extension will give you the functionality to use chrome in dark mode. This chrome extension applies a dark mode for every page you visit. You can manually select a particular page not to use in dark mode and save it for further using of the webpage.
The extension comes with a user-friendly interface where you can manually adjust the brightness, contrast and other color options.
To Install the extension Go to Chrome Webstore page and search for “dark reader”.Install the extension to get a proper dark mode for chrome.
I think you have got what you wanted. Though chrome doesn’t have a proper night mode or dark mode available, still you can have the proper experience of chrome dark mode by using the two methods mentioned at a time.
The extensions or themes could not temper with the settings page of google chrome due to some security reasons. In that case, Use the System built-in options to change the entire interface of google chrome to the dark mode. When it comes to webpages you can get help from extension like Dark reader. Use these two techniques combinedly, so that you can experience a proper chrome night mode.
Related Posts –